Handprint Pumpkin Pies
Need a way to keep the little ones from underfoot while you're slaving in the kitchen on Thanksgiving? Why not get them involved? Little ones can smash the potatoes, pour the ingredients, or even lend a hand with these fun pumpkin pies!
1 15-oz. pkg. refrigerated piecrust
1 16-oz. can packed pumpkin
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees, then begin making the turkey handprint for the pie. Trace your child's handprint on a piece of lightweight cardboard, then cut it out to create a stencil. Place the stencil over one of the circles of pie dough and cut around it, adding turkey feet to the bottom of the hand.
2. Place the cutout on a nonstick baking sheet. Brush with water and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
3. Next, place the remaining circle of pie dough in a 9-inch glass pie pan. Press the crust firmly against the sides and bottom of the pan. Crimp the edges.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until smooth.
5. Pour the mixture into the piecrust and bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Place the baked turkey cutout in the center of the pie and allow the pie to cool before serving.
Makes one 9-inch pie.